- 1801: Ali Pasha orders the execution by drowning of Kyra-Frosini.
- 1916: French forces occupy Kerkyra.
- 1921: The First Battle of Inonu ends inconclusively after both sides pull back and both claim victory.
- 1930: Kostis Palamas becomes President of the Athens Academy.
- 1944: Allied airplanes bombard the harbour of Piraeus, destroying much of the city centre and killing 5,500 civilians.
- 1949: Communist forces raid Naousa during the Greek Civil War.
- 1979: Yiangos Pesmazoglou leaves the Centrist Democratic Union to form the Party of Democratic Socialism (KODISO, Greek: ΚΟΔΗΣΟ)
- 1989: "Greece has transformed into an immense madhouse," states the President of the Hellenic Republic, Constantine Karamanlis, when talking about the political situation in Greece. (Η Ελλάδα μεταβλήθηκε σε ένα απέραντο φρενοκομείο)
- 1897: 28 athletic clubs are assembled in Panellinios. The next day the decision is made and SEAGS (later to become SEGAS) is founded
- 347: Theodosius I, Byzantine emperor
- 1853: Georgios Iakovidis, painter
- 1910: Nikos Kavvadias, writer