- 1545: A powerful earthquake (6.8 on the Richter scale) strikes Lamia. 4,000 persons are killed.
- 1924: The 4th National Assembly abolishes the monarchy and declares Greece to be a Republic.
- 1935: Generals Anastasios Papoulas and Koimisis are executed for their role in the March 1 attempted coup d' etat.
- 1992: A Sudanese aircraft crashes on Mt. Hymettus due to pilot error.
- 1971: Panathinaikos draw Everton 0-0 at home and advance into the semi-finals of the Cup of Champions on away goals.
- 2007: Greece are defeated 4-1 at Karaiskaki Stadium by Turkey in a Euro 2008 qualifier.