Jump to navigation Jump to search
Today is Independence Day in the Republic of Cyprus.
- 331 BC: Alexander the Great defeats the Persians at the Battle of Gaugamela.
- 1828: Ibrahim Pasha capitulates to the Allied expedionary forces and withdraws from Greece.
- 1861: The first Greek postage stamps are issued (The Paris print of the Large Hermes heads).
- 1884: Joachim IV is elected Patriarch of Constantinople.
- 1945: The first issue of Athlitiki Echo hits the stands.
- 1960: Cyprus is officially declared an independent state.
- 1936: Christos Dimitropoulos breaks the Greek record in the hammer throw with 50.22m.
- 1958: Greece lose to France 7-1 in a Nations' Cup qualifier played in Parc des Princes, Paris.
- 2006: Eleni Daniilidou wins the USD145,000 Tennis Korean Open in heroic fashion by beating fourth seed Ai Sugiyama of Japan 6-3, 2-6, 7-6.
- 2008: Anorthosis Famagusta defeat Panathinaikos 3-1 for their first victory in the Group Stage of the Champions' League.