Phantis:Selected anniversaries/November 17
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1919: King Alexander married Aspasia Manou - a commoner - in secrecy, in Athens.
- 1968: Alekos Panagoulis was sentenced to death for his attempt to assassinate dictator George Papadopoulos.
- 1973: Tanks tore down the gates of the Polytechnic Institute in Athens ending the student protests against the military government of Greece. 16 students died during the confrontation.
- 1989: Riots took place in Athens on the 16th anniversary of the attack on the Athens Polytechnic Institute: One student was killed and dozens were injured as protesters sought to march on the embassy of the USA.
- Births: Krzysztof Warzycha (1964), footballer
- Deaths: Alexandros Papanastasiou (1936), politician, Prime Minister; Giorgos Mitsakis (1993), composer.