Anne-Marie of Greece
Her Majesty Queen Anne-Marie of Greece (born Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen, Denmark, 30 August 1946) is the wife of former King Constantine II of Greece, who was deposed by a military coup in 1967. Properly, their titles were the King and Queen of the Hellenes, which is the country's official name, but this royal form is little used and rarely known.
Officially Greece remained a monarchy until 1973, when the military dictatorship then ruling Greece held a successful referendum on abolishing the monarchy. This referendum was repeated, with the same result, in 1974, following the re-introduction of democracy in Greece.
Born Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark, she is the youngest daughter of King Frederick IX of Denmark and his wife, the former Ingrid of Sweden. Her eldest sister succeeded their father as Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.
Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark was married on 18 September 1964 in Athens to Constantine II, who was King of Greece from 1964 until 1973. The monarchy eventually was overthrown, and she is now styled Her Majesty Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes in Denmark and by courtesy elsewhere, or as Her Royal Highness Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark, though she is most often referred to as Queen Anne-Marie of Greece.
Former King Constantine and former Queen Anne-Marie have five children:
- Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark, born on 10 July 1965 at Mon Repos, Corfu, Greece. She was married on 9 July 1999 in London, England to Carlos Morales Quintana.
- Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece, Prince of Denmark, born on 20 May 1967 at Tatoi Palace in Athens, Greece. He was married on 1 July 1995 in London, England to Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece, Marie-Chantal Miller.
- They have four children:
- Maria Olympia, Princess of Greece and Denmark (b. 25 July 1996) in New York City
- Constantine Alexios, Prince of Greece and Denmark (b. 29 October 1998) in New York City
- Achileas Andreas, Prince of Greece and Denmark (b. 12 August 2000) in New York City
- Odysseas Kimon, Prince of Greece and Denmark (b. 17 September 2004 in London, England
- They have four children:
- Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark, born on 1 October 1969 in Rome, Italy.
- Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark, born on 9 June 1983 in London, England.
- Prince Philippos, Prince of Greece and Denmark, born on 26 April 1986 in London, England.
Titles from birth to death
Here is a list of titles Queen Anne-Marie held from birth in chronological order:
- Her Royal Highness Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark (1946-1964)
- Her Majesty The Queen of the Hellenes (1964-1973)
- Officially in Denmark or as courtesy elsewhere:
- Her Majesty Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes (since 1973)
- Her Royal Highness Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark (since 1973)