Revision as of 13:13, November 11, 2009 by Irlandos
- February 11: OFI goalkeeper, Arian Beqaj, scores with a header, 5 minutes into injury time, in the OFI - Paniliakos 2-2 game. It marks the first time a goalkeeper has scored with a header in Greece.
- March 16: George Koskotas is released from prison after serving 12 years of his sentence.
- March 18: The 27th census takes place throughout Greece.
- March 27: The newly-built Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport begins operations.
- April 7: Olympiakos defeat Ferencvaros 9-7 and becomes the first Greek water polo team to qualify for the Champions' Cup final four
- April 17: Marousi win the Saporta Cup after defeating Chalon 74-72. Vangelis Vourtzoumis becomes the first Greek player to win three European basketball trophies with three different clubs: Cup-Winners Cup in 1993 with Aris; Champions' Cup in 1996 with Panathinaikos and Saporta Cup with Marousi in 2001.
- April 18: AEK hand former basketball "emperor" Aris their worst defeat ever 110-56.
- May 4: Pope John Paul II visits Greece. The visit is the first by a Pope to Greece since the Great Schism.
- May 12: PAOK win their first title in 16 years after defeating Olympiakos 4-2 in the Greek Cup final at Nea Philadelphia Stadium.
- June 1: Greece's first away win over Russia (3-1) in volleyball history
- June 27: The record-breaking 4 billion drachma transfer of Michalis Konstantinou from Iraklis to Panathinaikos is finalised.
- August 19: Greece win the World Juniors Water Polo Championship by beating Croatia 8-7 in Istanbul
- August 28: Greek and Turkish football authorities agree to make a joint bid to host Euro 2008. Nevertheless, UEFA's executive committee will vote in favour of the Austrian-Swiss joint bid on December 12, 2002.
- August 28: Archbishop Christodoulos announces that 3 million Greek citizens have voted to allow religious affiliation on national identity cards following a informal poll conducted by the Church of Greece.
- September 11: The attack against the Twin Towers takes place. The nearby Greek Orthodox church of Saint Nicolas is also damaged.
- May 1: Manolis Hadjiapostolou, known as "tiger", the man who jumped on the vehicle used to assassinate MP Gregoris Lambrakis and assisted in the assassins' arrest.
- May 2: Emmanouil Emmanouilidis, one of the assassins of MP Gregoris Lambrakis.
- May 9: Nikos Sampson, Junta-appointed "President" of Cyprus
- June 3: Antony Quinn, actor, best known for his performance in the popular Hollywood movie Zorba the Greek
- June 4: Dinos Eliopoulos, actor