Jump to navigation Jump to search
- February 8: Karolos Papoulias was elected President of the Hellenic Republic. His election received the largest majority ever, with 279 votes in favor.
- February 19: Panathinaikos won the Greek Basketball Cup after achieving a 72-67 victory over Aris at Lindo in Heraklion, Crete. This was the eighth time Panathinaikos won the Basketball Cup, equalling Aris' successes.
- June 16: For the first time ever in its history, the Greek football team participated in the Confederations Cup held in Germany as the European Champion. Greece faced Brazil in its first match and lost 3-0.
- July 26: Anorthosis Famagusta defeat Trabzonspor 3-1 in Nicosia.
- July 30: The Greek waterpolo team wins the bronze medal, the first medal in a big tournament, at the XI FINA World Championships in Montreal, Canada defeating Croatia with 11-10 at extra time. Giorgos Afroudakis scores the winning goal 11 seconds before the end of the game.
- August 14 - Helios Airways Flight 522 air disaster
- August 21 - Greece's women's Water Polo team won the World League final by defeating Russia 13-10 at Kirishi, Russia.
- September 9: Vladimir Putin becomes the first Russian state leader to visit Mount Athos.
- September 25 - Greece beat Germany 78-62 in Belgrade to capture the European Basketball Championship for only the second time in their history.
- December 1: Greek public opinion was rocked by an unprecedented crime for Greek police, committed on the island of Salamina. The culprits were three brothers, aged 7, 8 and 14, and the victim was a 78-year-old woman, whom they strangled in order to rob.
- August 13: Giorgos Zografos, singer and actor
- August 16: Viki Moscholiou, music performer
- August 27: Giorgos Mouzakis, music composer
- October 31: Thanasis Giannousis, politician, Thessaloniki mayor
- October 31: Dionysis Livanos, politician, Minister of Tourism and EU Parliamentarian