Jump to navigation Jump to search
- January 14: Alexandros Lykourezos is elected President of the EPAE.
- January 16: A wave of extreme weather conditions (thunderstorms, snowfall and 10 Beaufort gales) cost the lives of two persons: a football fan, 55-year-old Stamatis Georgioudakis, crushed by a metal door in Xanthi Stadium and a passenger of a snow-plough was electrocuted when his vehicle got tangled with a severed live wire at the Chalkida - Edipsos National Highway.
- January 27: During a thunderstorm, a lighting bolt hits a support cable of the Rio-Antirrio Bridge. The fire is placed under control immediately, but questions arise over the security of the bridge.
- February 8: Karolos Papoulias was elected President of the Hellenic Republic. His election received the largest majority ever, with 279 votes in favor.
- February 14: Minos Kyriakou is elected, almost unanimously, president of the Hellenic Olympic Committee, succeeding Lambis Nikolaou
- February 19: Panathinaikos won the Greek Basketball Cup after achieving a 72-67 victory over Aris at Lindo in Heraklion, Crete. This was the eighth time Panathinaikos won the Basketball Cup, equalling Aris' successes.
- March 6: The Spercheios River floods causing extensive property damage in the Phthiotis prefecture of Greece.
- May 21: Greece win the Eurovision contest for the first time thanks to Elena Paparizou's song "My Number One".
- June 16: For the first time ever in its history, the Greek football team participated in the Confederations Cup held in Germany as the European Champion. Greece faced Brazil in its first match and lost 3-0.
- July 26: Anorthosis Famagusta defeat Trabzonspor 3-1 in Nicosia.
- July 30: The Greek waterpolo team wins the bronze medal, the first medal in a big tournament, at the XI FINA World Championships in Montreal, Canada defeating Croatia with 11-10 at extra time. Giorgos Afroudakis scores the winning goal 11 seconds before the end of the game.
- August 11: Flooding occurs in the northeastern part of Evros prefecture, between Orestiada and Didymoteicho.
- August 14: Helios Airways Flight 522 air disaster
- August 21: Greece's women's Water Polo team won the World League final by defeating Russia 13-10 at Kirishi, Russia.
- September 9: Vladimir Putin becomes the first Russian state leader to visit Mount Athos.
- September 25 - Greece beat Germany 78-62 in Belgrade to capture the European Basketball Championship for only the second time in their history.
- December 1: Greek public opinion was rocked by an unprecedented crime for Greek police, committed on the island of Salamina. The culprits were three brothers, aged 7, 8 and 14, and the victim was a 78-year-old woman, whom they strangled in order to rob.
- December 4: Athina Roussel Onassis weds Brazilian questrian champion Alvaro Alfonso de Miranda in Sao Paolo, Brazil.
- December 8: Basketball super-star Nikos Galis weds Eleni Panagiotou.
- January 24: Nikos Mourkakos, top administrative manager of Ethnikos, the first sportscaster of the Military Forces Radio (ΥΕΝΕΔ) and successful lyricist of folk songs.
- April 7: Grigoris Bithikotsis, singer
- April 10: Former Archbishop Iakovos Koukouzis of North and South America.
- August 13: Giorgos Zografos, singer and actor
- August 16: Viki Moscholiou, music performer
- August 27: Giorgos Mouzakis, music composer
- October 31: Thanasis Giannousis, politician, Thessaloniki mayor
- October 31: Dionysis Livanos, politician, Minister of Tourism and EU Parliamentarian