Its population in 2001 was 8,004 inhabitants.
The current city was built in the 17th century. Its first name was Sarışaban. It was wrested by the Bulgarians, from the Turks, during the First Balkan War. On June 11, 1913, during the Second Balkan War, it was liberated by the Greek Army. Until 1929, its name in Greek was Sappaioi.
Chrysoupolis was a community until 1946 when it was promoted to a municipality.