|Location:||38° 22′ 24″ N, 22° 22′ 53″ E|
about 600 to 800 m
|Postal code:||330 52|
|Area/distance code:||11-30-22980 (030-22980)-41|
|3-letter abbreviation:||GAL Galaxidi|
|Name of inhabitants:||Galaxidiotsing.|
|Address of administration:||4 Tsallagyra St.|
Galaxidi 330 52
Galaxidi (Greek, Modern: Γαλαξίδι, Ancient/Katharevousa: -on), is a town and a municipality located in the southern part of the prefecture of Phokida. It A small harbor which connects with the Crisaean Gulf is north of Galaxidi. It is located near GR-48/E65 which connects Antirio with the Rio-Antirio bridge and Itea along with GR-27, Amfissa and Livadeia. It is located about 10 km S of Itea and about 30 km S of Amfissa, S of Lamia, about 25 km SW of Delphi, WSW of Livadeia and E of Nafpaktos, the Rio-Antirio bridge and GR-5.
Communities and subdivisions
- Itea, S
|Year||Communal population||Change (town)||Municipal population|
Galaxidi has a school, a lyceum, a gymnasuim, a church, a post office, banks and a square (plateia) which is located 50 km from the sea. Galaxidi has a small port which used as a ferry from Aigio. It is used further west in Agios Nikolaos. The road until the opening of the new highway used to be the southernmost point. Three tunnels are situated SW of Galaxidi. Curvy roads are to the north. The view of Itea and the small peninsula as well as the western part of Parnassus can be seen. The Peloponnese can rarely be seen in the south.
The exiscente dates back to 1393 BC.
Much of the land are bushy, grassy or rocky and are covered with mountains. There are not as many farms in the area but most of the groves are as far as 3 km within Galaxidi. Pine forests are situated in the southeast over a rocky shoreline.
Sites of interest
- Maritime Museum of Galaxidi, a museum which includes the Galaxidi Chronicle which was published by KN Sathas in 1865. It used to serve as a town hall for Galaxidi. website: http://www.culture.gr/4/42/421/42104/42104c/e42104c1.html
|West: []||Galaxidi||East: Methana and Ermioni?|