Kalamaria is a municipality that lies next to Thessaloniki, where it belonged until 1943. Its population is about 120,000, Kalamaria being the second biggest city in Northern Greece and ninth in the whole country. Though the area has been inhabited since the ancient years, the name "Kalamaria" appeared in 1083 for the first time. It must mean Kali Meria ( Καλή Μεριά - nice place) or Skala Meria (σκάλα μεριά - the place of the Skala, which is the name for the Byzantine naval station). Most of Kalamaria's people came after 1922 and the exchange of populations between Greece and Turkey. They were Greeks who lived in Pontos, Asia Minor and Eastern Thrace.