- 1908: There was a big uproar in educational circles as the Demotic version of the Greek language was introduced in Primary Schools.
- 1912: Greek reporters were expelled from Turkey having been accused of writing "divisive" articles.
- 1956: ERE controversially defeated the Democratic Union coalition - which polled more votes - to win 165 seats in the Greek Parliament.
- 1959: The London Agreement was signed granting independence to Cyprus.
- 1993: The government of FYROM asked the Greek government for permission to open a consulate in Athens.
- Births: Giorgos Seferis, poet (1900), Michalis Konstantinou, footballer (1978).
- Deaths: Dr. George Papanicolaou, inventor of the Pap smear (1962), Giorgos Kalafatis, founder of Panathinaikos FC (1964), Christoforos Nezer, Greek actor (1970), Kostas Negrepontis, football player and coach (1973).
Recent days: February 18 - February 17
Births - Deaths - Namesday
Welcome to the Phantis Wiki, the free content resource with the goal of collecting and disseminating information on everything and anything Greek, from Greece and all over the world.
The Phantis Wiki is open for everybody to participate, edit and contribute information. In this English version - started in August 2005 and released to the public October 27, 2005 - we are currently working on 7,739 articles.
The Phantis Wiki is, by definition, a collaborative web site comprised of the perpetual collective work of many authors. A wiki allows anyone, using a web browser, to edit, delete or modify content that has been placed on the web site including the work of other authors. To test it and practice editing visit our sandbox.
This service is brought to you by Phantis.