Phantis:Selected anniversaries/June 4
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1878: Cyprus Convention: The Ottoman Empire ceded Cyprus to the United Kingdom but retained nominal title.
- 1959: Greece rejected a Soviet note urging that no missile bases be established on Greek soil.
- 1977: Greece released five British plane-spotters, imprisoned for spying, after 10 weeks in jail. (BBC)
- 1993: FYROM rejected Slobodan Milosevic's initiative to settle their dispute with Greece by being known as "Slavic Macedonia"
- 1993: Greece claimed that she lost $2.6 billion on account of the EU embargo against Yugoslavia.
- Births: Socrates, ancient philosopher (470 BC); Karolos Papoulias, President of the Hellenic Republic (1929); Giourkas Seitaridis, football player (1981)
- Deaths: Dinos Eliopoulos, actor (2001)