Phantis:Selected anniversaries/June 4
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1878: Cyprus Convention: The Ottoman Empire ceded Cyprus to the United Kingdom but retained nominal title.
- 1959: Greece rejected a Soviet note urging that no missile bases be established on Greek soil.
- 1977: Greece released five British plane-spotters imprisoned for spying; they were released after 10 weeks in jail. (BBC)
- 1993: FYROM reject Slobodan Milosevic's initiative to settle their dispute with Greece by being known as "Slavic Macedonia"
- 1993: Greece claimed that she lost $2.6 billion on account of the EU embargo against Yugoslavia.
- 470 BC: Socrates, ancient philosopher
- 1929: Karolos Papoulias, President of the Hellenic Republic
- 1981: Giourkas Seitaridis, football player