Jump to navigation Jump to search
- February 3: Stelios Manolas debuts in the Alpha Ethniki in the match Kastoria - AEK 1-1. The AEK defender will end his career 18 years later.
- May 6: Nikos Galis makes his debut with the Greek National Basketball Team in a game against Sweden (71-79)
- May 26: Kastoria win the Greek Soccer Cup after beating Iraklis 5-2 in Nea Philadelphia Stadium (Tsironis 3, Simaioforidis and Dintsikos)
- June 11: Greece participate for the first time in the final phase of a major football tournament. They lose 1-0 to Holland in their opening match of Euro 1980, after East German referee Prokop inexplicably awards the Dutch a penalty when forward Naninga charges and injures Greek keeper Vasilis Konstantinou.
- June 14: Greece lose to Czechoslovakia 3-1 in the finals of Euro 1980.
- June 17: Greece draw W. Germany 0-0 in the finals of Euro 1980.
- October 15: Greece defeat Denmark 1-0 in Copenhagen thanks to a goal by Dinos Kouis. The man of the match is Greek goalkeeper Nikos Sarganis who preserves the victory and earns the nickname "phantom" from the Danish press.
- October 19: Greece returns to the military branch of NATO.
- November 4: The five day work week is established
- February 8: Nikos Xylouris, Cretan singer.
- February 24: Giorgos Andrianopoulos football player and Piraeus mayor.