Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1941: The Germans enter Athens during World War II.
- 1941: Writer Penelope Delta attempts suicide by taking poison. She will die five days later.
- 1952: the Cypriot National Assembly ratifies the union of Greece and Cyprus.
- 1956: A RAF Douglas Dakota is destroyed on the ground by a bomb thought to have been placed by EOKA fighters.
- 2007: Employment minister Savvas Tsitouridis resigned after weeks of government criticism that followed the discovery that a state pension fund had overpaid € 4.8 million (US$6.4 million) for state bonds.
- 1748: Adamantios Korais, Greek intellectual
- 1770: Sir Edward Codrington, British admiral at the Battle of Navarino
- 1903: Nikolaos Zachariadis, Communist leader
- 1935: Theodoros Angelopoulos, film director
- 1971: Theofilos Karasavvidis, footballer
- 1864: Ioannis Makrygiannis, hero of the Greek War of Independence.
- 2007: Marios Tokas, songwriter
- 2016: Oscar Alvarez, footballer