Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1673: Gerasimus II becomes Patriarch of Constantinople.
- 1954: Communist Nikos Ploumbidis is executed by firing squad for espionage.
- 1974: Turkish military launch the second phase ("Attila 2") of their invasion of Cyprus resulting in the occupation of one-third of the island's territory. 200,000 Greeks are displaced from their homes.
- 1996: Solomos Spirou Solomou is shot dead by Turkish troops at Derynia, Cyprus. He was climbing a flagpole to lower the raised Turkish flag.
- 2003: The island of Lefkada is rocked by a powerful earthquake (6.4 on the Richter scale).
- 2005: The Helios Airways Flight 522 air disaster takes place.
- 2018: After 167 days in captivity, soldiers Angelos Mitretodis and Dimitris Kouklatzis are released by Turkish authorities. The two men had strayed across the border in their search for illegal aliens.
- 1938: Grigoris Lambrakis breaks the Greek record for the long jump with 7.37m. This record will stand for 21 years.
- 1878: Georgios Kondilis, general, politician
- 1909: Manos Katrakis, actor
- 1974: Giorgos Doukas, singer
- 1977: Elisavet Mystakidou Tae kwon do athlete