Agia Irene (Kyrenia)
Agia Irene has historically been a mixed village. According to the 1960 census, from a total population of 471, Turkish Cypriots numbered 305 and Greek Cypriots 166. In 1973 the population of the village was 683.
Since 1974, Agia Irene has been occupied by Turkish troops. Prior to the invasion, the main products of the area were citrus fruits, olives, wheat, carob.
The village became well-known in 1929 when a Swedish archaeological group made substantial discoveries.