Ellinikon International Airport

From Phantis
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Ellinikon International Airport (sometimes spelled Hellinikon (in Greek Ελληνικόν) was the international airport of Athens for sixty years up until 2001 when it was replaced by Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport. It had two terminals; the west terminal for Olympic Airways and the east terminal for international flights. Its IATA code of ATH is now used at Venizelos.

It is bounded by residential houses, beaches in the west and in the south by the wooded trees of the Glyfada Golf Club along with the Ellinikon-Glyfada municipal boundary.

After its closure to passenger traffic, a hangar on the west side of the airport was converted into a basketball arena. However, part of the runway still exists and there is a chance that Hellinikon will remain in use as a general aviation airport (with a significantly reduced runway). The Athens radar center is also still based there.


The airport was built in 1937.

Prior to closing its passenger service, the airport was serving 12 million passengers per year.

External links