Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1822: The head of Ali Pasha - slain on January 17 - reaches Constantinople where Sultan Mahmud II puts it on display in front of his palace.
- 1923: Chrysostom I is elected Archbishop of Athens and all Greece.
- 1965: EIR (present-day ERT) broadcasts on Television for the first time.
- 1969: ex-King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia dies in Greece where he had been living since he was ousted by his brother Faisal.
- 2006: Theodoros Behrakis is elected interim Mayor of Athens by the city council, following Dora Bakoyianni's resignation due to being appointed as Foreign Minister. Behrakis received 14 of the 25 votes and his opponent Angelos Moschonas received 10, while there was one blank ballot.
- 1975: The National Football Team of Greece is embarassed 2-0 by Malta in La Valetta.
- 2002: Gogo Tsiligiri breaks the Greek women's indoor pole vault record with a 4.37m jump.
- 2017: APOEL defeat Athletic Bilbao 2-0 to advance into the next round of the Europa Cup. Olympiakos defeat Osmanlispor, in Ankara, 3-0 and also advance.