Philiatra (or Filiatra) is the second largest city in population in the prefecture of Messinia. During the times of Kapodistrias, Philiatra was known as Erana, and was the capital of the municipality of Erani.
The city is located across Kalamata, facing the Mediterranean, in the center of the valley of Trifilia, between the cities of Kyparissia and Gargalianoi. The fertile land which begins from the mountain of Aegaleo to the Ionian Sea is full of olive trees, and vineyards with varying types of grapes.
On August 27, 1886, a major earthquake, registering 7.5 on the Richter scale, wiped out the city and hundreds died. The economic prosperity of the region allowed the city to be rebuilt in a short period of time.
- History of Filiatra by Christos Plakonouris