Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1965: Student Sotiris Petroulas is killed during a pro-Papandreou protest in Athens.
- 1974: Greek athlete Giorgos Katsanis is killed in a battle near St. Hilarion Castle during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus. His club, Iraklis Thessaloniki will rename their volleyball stadium in his honour.
- 1975: Athens daily "Eleftherotypia" begins publication.
- 1988: Greek-American, Michael Dukakis, wins the nomination for President of the US at the Democratic National Convention in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 2010: Giorgos Papandreou pays an official state visit to Israel - the first by a Greek PM since 1993 when the two countries established full diplomatic relations.
- 1939: John Negroponte, Greek-American career diplomat
- 1948: Cat Stevens, Greek-British singer
- 1971: Erik Mykland, one-time Panathinaikos footballer