Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1057: Armies loyal of Isaac I Komnenos defeat the imperial forces of Byzantine emperor Michael VI at Nicaea.
- 1071: The Battle of Manzikert takes place between Byzantines, under emperor Romanus IV, and Seljuk Turks.
- 1854: Makarios I is ordained Archbishop of Cyprus.
- 1960: A woman - Stavroula Gouvoussi - is executed for the first time in Greece for a crime: she had strangled her pregnant daughter-in-law
- 2004: Fani Halkia wins gold in the 400m hurdles at the Athens Olympic Games.
- 2010: Two Hellenic Airforce F-16 jets collide over Crete during a military exercise. One pilot is killed, two are seriously injured.
- 2009: APOEL FC defeat FC Kobenhavn 3-1 and advance to the group stage of the Champions' League for the first time in their history.
- 2010: The three clubs representing Greece - AEK, PAOK and Aris - all draw in their Europa League playoff games and advance to the group stage. The two clubs representing Cyprus - APOEL and Omonia - also draw but are eliminated.