Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1975: The "Turkish Republic of North Cyprus" is declared independent by Turkish Cypriots. Only Turkey recogises the breakaway "state".
- 1979: The Greek government publishes the new law allowing divorce for reason of "long-term separation".
- 2008: Unions call a general strike throughout Greece to protest the Karamanlis government proposed pension reform law.
- 2012: The Hellenic Parliament approves, by 199 to 74, a controversial package of austerity measures demanded by the EU and IMF in return for a 130 billion euro bailout. Following the vote, coalition parties expel more than 40 MPs for failing to back the bill while tens of thousands violently protest in Athens and other cities across Greece.
- 2016: 17-year old Emmanouil Karalis breaks the junior World indoor pole vault record with a jump of 5.53m.
- 1888: Georgios Papandreou, Greek politician and Prime Minister
- 1933: Michalis Karaolis, EOKA member
- 1945: Christos Terzanidis, football player