Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1877: The Hellenic Red Cross was established following the initiative of Queen Olga.
- 1942: King George II arrives in the USA to seek aid for the Greek war effort.
- 1944: German occupation troops execute 218 Greeks in Distomo, Boeotia prefecture.
- 1949: 1,000 Greek communists, who have signed a declaration of repentance, are freed from the various concentration camps in Greece.
- 1956: The Lycabettus funicular came into operation
- 1996: Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I is named an honourary member of the Athens Academy.
- 1987: Greece brush aside Italy 90-78 in their quarterfinal game of Eurobasket 1987.
- 2008: European soccer champions Greece began the defence of the title won as outsiders during the last tournament with a disappointing 0-2 defeat at the hands of Sweden.