Phantis:Selected anniversaries/October 20
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1827: The Battle of Navarino took place.
- 1912: The Battle of Giannitsa took place during the First Balkan War.
- 1922: The peace conference which eventually produced the Treaty of Lausanne, commenced.
- 1944: Joseph Stalin and Sir Winston Churchill partitioned eastern Europe into "spheres of influence". Greece was marked as 90% under British and only 10% under Soviet influence.
- 1968: Aristotle Onassis married Jackie Kennedy at island of Skorpios.
- 1988: George Koskotas was indicted on fraud and embezzlement charges.
- 2010: The Supreme Court acquitted ex-Prime Ministers Petros Protopapadakis, Nikolaos Stratos and Dimitrios Gounaris and three others, all convicted of high treason and executed in 1922 for their role in the Asia Minor disaster.
- Deaths: Loukas Barlos, former President of AEK FC (1999).