Athens Stock Exchange
The Athens Stock Exchange was first opened in 1876. Originally, it shared facilities with the Central Post Office in Athens. From 1881 until 1885, it was located at the corner of Aiolou and Sofokleous Streets. In 1885, it moved to 11 Sofocleous, where it stayed until October 1891. On November 1 of that year, it relocated to 1 Pesmatzoglou Street. By 1923, it outgrew those facilities and a move to a new building was decided on. On December 19, 1934, it officially moved to Psiri in a building originally used as a flee and live stock market, at 10 Sofocleous Street, near the city centre of Athens. For this reason the Athens Stock Exchange is also called "Sofokleous". The Athens Stock Exchange is a subsidiary of Hellenic Exchanges S.A., whose shares are listed in ATHEX. In August 1999, the derivatives market started trading, and in 2002 the Athens Stock Exchange and the Athens Derivatives Exchange merged to form the Athens Stock Exchange. As of July 2, 2007, it is located in its new headquarters, designed by Babis Vovos Constructions, at the corner of Athinon Avenue (also called Kavalas Street) and Chrimatistiriou Street in Votanikos.
In July 2007 the Greek parliament made the appropriate agreement that will allow ASE (Athens Stock Exchange) to enter the European stock exchange market, and join the benefits of other major stock exchanges of the European union.
The exchange has normal trading sessions from 10:00am to 05:20pm on all days of the week except Saturdays, Sundays and holidays declared by the Exchange in advance.
For a complete listing, see: List of companies listed on the Athens Stock Exchange
- Market Hours, Athens Exchange via Wikinvest