Jump to navigation Jump to search
Eleftheroupolis is a city in the municipality of Pangaio in Kavala prefecture, Macedonia, Greece. Prior to 2011, it was the seat of the Municipality of Eleftheroupolis.
Its population in 2001 was 4,898 inhabitants.
The original name of the town was Pravi. Itinerant preacher, Saint Kosmas Aitolos, preached there during one of his missionary journeys. During the Second Balkan War, it was liberated by the Greek Army. In 1929, its name was changed from Pravi to Eleftheroupolis.
Eleftheroupolis is the seat of a Metropolitan bishop.