The population of the town was 967 inhabitants, while that of the entire municipality 1607, according to the 2001 census. Judging by archaeological findings in the area, Kandanos was probably inhabited in ancient times. Venetian lords settled the area when Venice ruled the island. They served the Turks when control passed to Ottoman rule.
On June 3, 1941, German troops entered the town in the aftermath of the Battle of Crete and executed those who had resisted them. They then proceeded to destroy the town leaving only a sign in German and Greek which read: "Kandanos was destroyed on 3.6.1941 so that it can never be built again".
The inhabitants of Kandanos rebuilt their town after liberation from the Germans in 1944.