Tiryns was a hill fort with occupation ranging back seven thousand years, from the beginning of the bronze age. It reached its height between 1400 and 1200 BC. Its most notable features were its palace, its cyclopean tunnels and especially its walls, which gave the city its Homeric epithet of "mighty walled Tiryns". In ancient times, the city was linked to the myths surrounding Heracles. Some sources gave it as his birthplace. 
The famous megaron of the palace of Tirynsis has a large reception hall, the main room of which had a throne placed against the right wall and a central hearth bordered by four Minoan-style wooden columns that served as supports for the roof.
The site went into decline at the end of the Mycenaean period, and was completely deserted by the time Pausanias visited in the 2nd century AD. This site was excavated by Heinrich Schliemann in 1884-1885, and is the subject of ongoing excavations.
Tiryns was recognized as one of the World Heritage Sites in 1999. Visitors to the site might like to know that the top of the hill has been liberally concreted, giving it a feel of part hill fort and part helicopter landing site.