(Redirected from 8 February)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1833: The drachma replaces the phoenix as the monetary unit of Greece.
- 1848: Diplomatic relations resume between Greece and Turkey as Ottoman Ambassador, Konstantinos Mousouros, returns to Athens.
- 1919: Greek forces battle Bolsheviks at Vaslinovo and Berezovka during the Ukraine Expedition.
- 1981: 21 young fans are killed and 32 are injured, at the end of the Olympiakos - AEK derby, after Gate 7, which they were trying to exit, was left closed.
- 2005: Karolos Papoulias was elected President of the Hellenic Republic. His election received the largest majority ever, with 279 votes in favor.
- 1941: Doukissa Fotara, Laika singer commonly known only by her first name.
- 1961: Giorgos Savvidis, football player and coach.
- 1984: Panagiotis Vasilopoulos, basketball player.