Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1453: The army of Mehmet II sets up camp outside Constantinople. The siege of the city begins.
- 1868: Dimitrios Voulgaris wins the general elections electing 114 MPs out of 184. These elections were the first in Greek history to be held within a single day.
- 1913: The funeral of the assassinated King George I is held in Athens.
- 1915: The Greek-American daily National Herald commences publication in New York.
- 1952: Maria Callas debuts in La Scala, Milan.
- 1993: A great fire on Skiathos burns much of the island's forested areas.
- 1927: Ferenc Puskas, footballer and coach of Panathinaikos and AEK.
- 1948: Dimitris Mitropanos, singer