Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1449: Constantine Palaeologus is crowned Byzantine emperor in Mystras.
- 1821: Theodoros Kolokotronis arrives in Kardamyli, Mani on the Greek mainland, from Zakynthos.
- 1824: Petrobey Mavromichalis is removed from his position of President of the executive committee of the Greek Revolution. He is replaced by Georgios Kountouriotis. This action will lead to infighting among the Greeks during the War of Independence.
- 1828: Ioannis Kapodistrias arrives in Nafplion; the British frigate "Warspite", at his disposal, carried him to Greece.
- 1872: Dimitrios Voulgaris forms a government.
- 1919: The Labor Socialist Party of Greece (which later became the Communist Party of Greece) hold its first open meeting in Athens.
- 1933: An earthquake strikes Volos causing material damage.
- 1950: Greek Prime Minister Alexandros Diomedes resigns amid a scandal involving members of his government.
- 1822: Heinrich Schliemann, archaeologist.
- 1942: Yiannis Boutaris, Mayor of Thessaloniki
- 1950: Achilleas Aslanidis, footballer
- 1952: Sophocles Dousmanis, naval officer
- 1991: Anna Mantzourani, actress.
- 2008: Alekos Michailidis, Cypriot politician
Today is Holy Theophany (Epiphany), namesday for Fotis, Fotini, Theofanis, Iordanis (Jordan), Ourania (Urania), Peristera, Theopoula