Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1821: The Battle of Valtetsi ends in Greek victory.
- 1908: Greek and Bulgarian guerrilas battle at Ieropigi, Macedonia.
- 1912: First lieutenant Dimitrios Kamberos flies the first military plane in Greek history: a Henry Farman aircraft.
- 1941: Coupons for bread are issued in Nazi-occupied Greece.
- 1995: A strong earthquake (6.6 on the Richter scale) strikes southern Macedonia between Kozani and Grevena.
- 1900: Sotiris Versis breaks the Greek record in the shot put with 11.49m.
- 1946: The Hellenic Tennis Federation (EFOA) is re-activated and Constantinos Nikolopoulos becomes the first president. The federation had stopped its activities from 1940 to 1945 because of the 2nd World War. In August of the same year, its founder Ioannis Ketseas will return to the president’s position until his death
- 1987: The European Cup Winners Cup final is held at Athens' OAKA Stadium. Marco van Basten leads Ajax Amsterdam to a 1-0 win over Lokomotive Leipzig.
- 2012: Olympiakos triumph over CSKA Moscow 62-61 and win the Euroleague for the second time in their history. The red-and-whites at one point in the game were 19 points down.
- 1883: Dr. Georgios Papanikolaou, inventor of the Pap smear.
- 1920: Dr. Vasos Lyssaridis, Cypriot politician.