Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1821: The Battle of the inn of Gravia is fought.
- 1821: Samos, under Lycurgus Logothetis, joins the Greek War of Independence.
- 1875: Charilaos Trikoupis forms his first government.
- 1919: Aristides Stergiadis is installed as High Commissioner of Smyrna.
- 1936: 12 tobacco workers are killed in violent demonstrations in Thessaloniki. 282 others are injured.
- 1948: American journalist, George Polk, is murdered in Thessaloniki.
- 1980: George Rallis is elected New Democracy party leader and Prime Minister, replacing Constantine Karamanlis who was elected President.
- 1989: Former Minister Giorgos Petsos is injured in a bomb attack by the Revolutionary Organization 17 November in Filothei.
- 1902: Alexandros Touferis breaks the Greek record in the high jump at 1.60m.
- 1963: St. Sevastopoulos breaks the 2m mark for a new Greek record in the high jump.
- 1988: Panathinaikos goalkeeper Nikos Sarganis helps his team win the Greek Cup in a penalty shootout, by saving two Olympiakos shots while scoring one himself.
- 2011: Panathinaikos defeat Maccabi Tel-Aviv 78-70 and win their sixth Euroleague Cup.