Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1898: The Turkish army completes its evacuation of Crete.
- 1935: A referendum is held for the return of King George II to the throne in Greece. 97.8% voted for the return.
- 1944: A 100 billion drachma note is put into circulation - the largest denomination of currency ever issued in Greece.
- 1963: Georgios Papandreou's political party, Center Union, emerges the winner in the national elections held, and forms a minority government with 42.2% of the votes.
- 1968: The funeral for Georgios Papandreou turns into a protest against the military government of Georgios Papadopoulos
- 1993: Constantine Mitsotakis resigns from the leadership of the New Democracy political party. Miltiades Evert is elected the new leader (with 141 votes; 37 voted for Ioannis Varvitsiotis).
- 2010: Greece suspends international airmail for 48 hours after more than 10 suspicious packages are sent to targets within Greece and across Europe.
- 1965: AEK defeat World Champions Inter 2-1. AEK's goals were scored by Andreas Stamatiadis and Kostas Nikolaidis.
- 1976: AEK defeat Derby County 3-2, in England, and advance to the 3rd round of the UEFA Cup.
- 1894: Sophoklis Venizelos, politician
- 1922: Spiros Kalogerou, actor
- 1933: Michael Dukakis, Greek-American politician.