Phantis:Selected anniversaries/April 14
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1828: The Tsar declared war on the Ottoman Empire due to the latter's refusal to accept autonomy for Greece.
- 1837: Foundation of the University of Athens.
- 1924: Greece was proclaimed a Republic following the ousting of King George II -- Pavlos Kountouriotis was named President, the first ever for Greece.
- 1989: It was discovered that Giorgos Koskotas hid $8 million of embezzled funds into secret Swiss bank accounts.
- Births: Michalis Sarris, Minister for the Economy of the Republic of Cyprus (1946).
- Deaths: Konstantinos Paparrigopoulos, historian (1891), Dionysis Papayiannopoulos, actor (1984)