Phantis:Selected anniversaries/May 24
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1827: The Greek garrison at the Acropolis, Athens surrendered to the Turks of Kutahye.
- 1881: Thessaly and Arta were ceded to Greece.
- 1955: EOKA attempted to assassinated Cyprus governor Robert Armitage. The bomb, however, exploded after his departure from the theatre.
- 1989: Manolis Glezos went on hunger strike outside the offices of ERT, protesting its unequal treatment of the Greek political parties.
- Births: Yiannis Goumas, footballer (1975)
- Deaths: Michalis Kousis, athlete, long distance runner (2005)