- 1768: Greeks and Italians rebel at the New Smyrna, Florida colony on account of their mistreatement and poor conditions.
- 1849: A revolt against British rule with the aim of union with Greece is put down by the British in Kefallonia.
- 1973: George Papadopoulos is sworn in as President after the abolition of the Monarchy by the military Junta.
- 1974: US Ambassador, Rodger Davies, and his Cypriot secretary, Antoinette Varnava, are killed in Lefkosia during anti-US riots in the aftermath of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.
- 2002: Periklis Iakovakis smashes Thanassis Kalogiannis' 15 year-old record (48.80) in the 400m race with 48.66 in Leeds.
- 2001: Greece win the World Juniors Water Polo Championship by beating Croatia 8-7 in Istanbul
- 2008: Kostas Douvalidis breaks the Greek record for the 110m hurdles with 13.46 as he qualifies for the Beijing Games semifinals.