Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1452: The unification of the Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox Churches takes place in Hagia Sophia on Rome's terms, when Emperor Constantine XI Palaiologos, under pressure from Rome, allows the union to be proclaimed.
- 1803: The Souliotes left Souli towards the coast of Epirus. A monk named Samuel remained in Kughi and set fire to the powder magazines with a massive explosion that cost him his life while killing tens of Ottomans.
- 1955 - The Battle of Spilia is fought in the EOKA struggle against the British in Cyprus.
- 1948: The Democratic Army of Greece attacks Karditsa.
- 1970: The discovery of an extended neolithic settlement near Sesklo (near Volos) is announced.
- 2014: Unknown assailants fire dozens of bullets at the facade of the Israeli embassy in Athens.
- 1792: Alexander Ypsilantis, Greek military commander and national hero
- 1934: Yiannis Voyiatzis, singer
- 1943: Vassilis Alexakis, novelist.
- 1955: Yianna Angelopoulou-Daskalaki, 2004 Olympic Games organiser.