From Phantis
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Lemesos (Greek: Λεμεσός, Turkish: Leymosun, English Limassol ), is the second-largest city of Cyprus with a population of 107,000. The city is situated on Akrotiri Bay, on the southside of the island.

Limassol was built between two ancient cities, Amathus and Kourion, so during Byzantine rule it was known as Neapolis (new town). The ruins of Kourion are extensive and include well-preserved mosaics. Limassol's tourist strip now runs east along the coast as far as Amathus, whose ruins are less well-preserved than Kourion. To the west of the city is the Akrotiri Base Area of the United Kingdom.

The medieval castle of Limassol now contains a museum. It is one of the nine castles of Cyprus (the others are at Kolossi, Larnaca, Paphos and Famagusta, Kantara, Buffavento, St. Hilarion and Kyrenia now in the north.

Richard the Lionheart is supposed to have married his fiancée Princess Berengaria of Navarre on this site after her ship was grounded nearby in 1191 as she accompanied him to the Third Crusade.

Limassol is the major sea port under the control of the Republic of Cyprus (Famagusta is the largest on the island). It is the base for many of the island's wine companies, serving the wine-growing regions on the southern slopes of the Troodos Mountains (of which the most famous is Commandaria).

Limassol traditionally had a mixed population of Greek and Turkish Cypriots. The majority of Turkish Cypriots moved to the north in 1974. During the 1990s several Cypriot Roma (people) (considered Turkish Cypriots according to the constitution) relocated from North Cyprus to the Turkish quarter of Limassol.

Limassol also attracts a wide range of tourists mostly during the summer season to be accomodated in its several luxurious hotels and apartments.

External link