- 1866: Cretan revolutionaries are defeated by the Turkish army at Malaxa, Chania.
- 1916: The Greek 4th Army Corps in eastern Macedonia surrenders to the Germans. It will remain in captivity in Saxony until the end of World War I.
- 1938: The ancient theatre of Epidaurus is put to use again - after 2000 years. The first play put on is "Electra" by Sophocles.
- 1942: The Greek forces in Egypt come under German airforce bombardment. Four soldiers are killed and ten are wounded.
- 1943: German troops kill 10 Greeks as they destroy the village of Aetos, Messenia.
- 2001: The attack against the Twin Towers takes place. The nearby Greek Orthodox church of Saint Nicolas is also damaged.
- 2004: A helicopter crashes into the Aegean Sea killing 16 persons. Among them were the Patriarch of Alexandria and three other bishops.
- 1954: Marika Kotopouli, stage actress
- 1979: Solon Michaelidis, Cypriot composer.
- 1986: Panagiotis Kanellopoulos, intellectual, politician, Prime Minister
- 2004: Petros VII, Patriarch of Alexandria.
- 2006: Peter Clentzos, pole vaulter, 1932 Olympic competitor.
- 2009: Georgios Papoulias, diplomat, Foreign Minister.
- 2009: Manolis Klikopoulos, footballer.