Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 490 BC: The Battle of Marathon takes place during the Greco-Persian Wars.
- 1829: The Battle of Petra takes place. It was the last battle of the Greek War of Independence.
- 1916: Bulgarian forces enter Kavala during WW I.
- 1943: Cretan guerrilas under Manolis Bantouvas attack German troops near Viannos, Heraklio prefecture.
- 1979: With a goal from Takis Nikoloudis, Greece qualify for the first time for a European Championship (Euro 1980) as they overcome USSR 1-0 at Leoforos Alexandras Stadium.
- 1982: Conclusion of the European Athletics championship in Athens. The games are a huge success with four world records being set and a first ever gold medal for Greece: Anna Verouli in the javelin throw.
- 1995: FYROM refuse to negotiate the matter of their name in New York unless Greece first lifts the trade embargo against them.
- 1986: Dimitris Regas, athlete (400m)
- 1185: Andronicus I Comnenus, Byzantine Emperor
- 1829: Iakovos Tombazis, admiral during the Greek War of Independence