Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1860: Joachim II is elected Patriarch of Constantinople.
- 1938: The Greek traffic police is established.
- 1974: The New Democracy Party is founded by Constantine Karamanlis.
- 2009: Giorgos Papandreou's Panhellenic Socialist Movement triumphs in the parliamentary elections.
- 2016: After 42 years, the remains of 16 Greek soldiers, who died when their transport plane was shot down during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus, were returned to their families in Greece.
- 1931: Aris hand Panathinaikos their worst defeat ever in the Greek Football Cup 7-2.
- 1931: Nikolaos Papanikolaou breaks the Greek record for the high jump with 1.89m.
- 1987: The Greek National Volleyball Team win bronze at the European Games of Gent.
- 2007: All five Greek sides in the UEFA Cup (Larisa, Panathinaikos, AEK, Panionios and Aris) advance to the group stage of that competition. The five clubs from Greece represent the most from any country in the 40-team group stage of Europe's No. 2 competition.
- 1955: Prime Minister Alexandros Papagos.