Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 626: The Akathist Hymn is created, an extensive lyric poem of unparalleled beauty, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, first chanted in the thanksgiving services following the victory of the Byzantine people of Constantinople over the Persians and Avars.
- 754: The Council of Hieria ends
- 754: Emperor Constantine V nominates Bishop Constantine of Sylaeum as Patriarch of Constantinople.
- 1896: Greek volunteers land in Crete to support the Cretan revolt against the Ottoman Empire.
- 1964: Turkish jets bombard Greek positions in Tylliria, Cyprus. 55 Greeks are killed and 125 are wounded. Half of that number are civilians.
- 2011: The Athens Stock Exchange General Index falls below 1000 for the first time since January 7, 1997, closing at 998.24, after an overall drop of 6.02%.
- 1997: Christos Meletoglou breaks the 16-year old Greek record in the triple jump with 17.12m.
- 2002: Mirela Maniani wins gold in the javelin throw at the European Championship in Munich. Her throw of 67.47m breaks the record for European Championship Games.
- 2018: Miltiadis Tentoglou wins gold in the long jump at the European Athletics Championships in Berlin with 8.25m.
- 2021: The Greek water polo team earns a silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics after falling 13-10 to Serbia.