Jump to navigation Jump to search
Today is Bastille Day, the National holiday of France
- 1913: Komotini is liberated by Greek forces during the Second Balkan War. The Treaty of Bucharest will return it to Bulgarian control.
- 1925: Basil III is elected Ecumenical Patriarch.
- 1973: Archbishop Makarios III defrocks the three Cypriot Metropolitans who had earlier called for his resignation from the Presidency of the island-republic.
- 1989: PM Andreas Papandreou weds stewardess Dimitra Liani.
- 1992: The Revolutionary Organisation 17 November attempt to assassinate Finance Minister Yiannis Paleokrassas but kill 22-year old Thanos Axarlian instead.
- 2013: The Coalition of the Radical Left (SYRIZA) is merged into a single political party. Alexis Tsipras is elected its leader with 74% of the vote.