Jump to navigation Jump to search
Today is May Day is most of the World.
- 1925: Cyprus is declared a Crown colony.
- 1927: Greek bohemian poet, Napoleon Lapathiotis, who espoused Communism, writes to the Archbishop of Athens requesting that he no longer be considered part of the Archbishop's flock.
- 1944: 200 Greek patriots are executed by the Nazis at Kaisariani.
- 1948: Justice Minister, Christos Ladas, is assassinated during the Greek Civil War.
- 1954: New banknotes are put into circulation in Greece in new Drachmas (1000 old drachmas = 1 new drachma).
- 1967: Footballer Mimis Domazos marries popular singer Vicky Moscholiou.
- 1983: Composer Mikis Theodorakis receives the Lenin Award.
- 1997: The birth of Phantis
- 1938: Panathinaikos player, Lysandros Dikaiopoulos, collides with Tryfon Tzanetis of AEK. He will die in hospital two days later.
- 2009: Panathinaikos defeat Olympiakos 84-82 in their Euroleague semifinal matchup in Berlin.
- 408: Arcadius, first Byzantine emperor to rule exclusively in the East.
- 1907: Gregorios Maraslis, national benefactor
- 1976: Alekos Panagoulis, MP and would-be assassin of dictator George Papadopoulos.
- 2001: Manolis Hadjiapostolou, known as "tiger", the man who jumped on the vehicle used to assassinate MP Gregoris Lambrakis and assisted in the assassins' arrest.
- 2018: Zoe Kouroukli, singer
- 2020: Giorgos Zaimis, olympic sailor, gold medalist