Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1770: Greek forces under Skyloyiannis Mavromichalis are overwhelmed, after a heroic resistance, by the Turks at Melipyrgos, Messinia, during the "Orlov Events".
- 1911: A major earthquake (7.1 on the Richter scale) strikes Thera and the surrounding area.
- 1919: The Battleship Georgios Averof enters Smyrna harbour with 50,000 Greeks wildly cheering on the quay.
- 1944: The village of Drosopigi in Florina prefecture, Macedonia, Greece, is totally destroyed by German occupation troops.
- 1946: Panagiotis Poulitsas forms a government.
- 1968: In the Panathenaic Stadium, before 80,000 fans, AEK defeat Slavia Prague 89-82 and win the European Cup-winners Cup of Basketball.
- 1995: Greek Minister of Defence, Gerasimos Arsenis, declares that further Turkish intervention in Cyprus would constitute "Causus belli" for Greece.
- 2012: 77-year old pensioner, Dimitris Christoulas, shoots himself dead in Syntagma Square Athens, not far from the Hellenic Parliament. Christoulas feared the austerity measures would leave him "scavenging for food in garbage cans".