- January 28: Andreas Filotas becomes the first goalkeeper to score in an Alpha Ethniki match, slotting home a penalty in the game between Olympiakos Lefkosia and Proodeftiki (2-1).
- January 30: Junta-appointed Secretary General of Athletics, Lt. Col. Kostas Aslanidis, blasts corruption in football in a speech in Thessaloniki. He alleges that Panathinaikos fixed games, that footballers Tzekos Ballarinis and Kostas Vallianos threw games for money and that several referees and linesmen had been paid off.
- February 18: The KKE Interior is formed after a split in the ranks of the Communist Party of Greece.
- February 19: A major earthquake (7.1 on the Richter scale) strikes the island of Agios Efstratios.
- February 25: Archbishop Makarios III is re-elected President of Cyprus obtaining 220,911 votes (96.29%) out of 229,488 valid votes cast. Dr Takis Evdokas receives a mere 8,577 votes (3.71%).
- March 5: The National Route between Larisa and Thessaloniki is completed.
- March 30: Dictator George Papadopoulos adopts the slogan "Greece of Greek Christians".
- April 4: In the Panathenaic Stadium, before 80,000 fans, AEK defeat Slavia Prague 89-82 and win the European Cup-winners Cup of Basketball.
- May 9: MP Giorgis Tsarouchas (EDA) is killed in Thessaloniki after apparently being tortured during interrogation.
- June 13: Tanker "World Glory" - owned by Stavros Niarchos - sinks off the coast of South Africa. Of the 34-member crew (33 Greeks and one Irishman) only ten survive.
- June 22: Greece defeat Turkey 4-1 to win the 23rd CISM football championship.
- July 31: American chess Grandmaster Bobby Fisher plays five simultaneous games in Athens against Greek chess masters. He wins four - against Apostolopoulos, Christos Kokkoris, Ornithopoulos and Lazaros Vyzantiadis - and draws against Giorgos Trikaliotis.
- August 13: Alexandros Panagoulis attempts to assassinate Dictator George Papadopoulos. The attempt fails.
- October 13: Olympiakos play against AEK in a game where all the proceeds were given for the benefit of cancer-stricken Olympiakos striker Aristides Papazoglou.
- October 16: In the Olympic Games of Mexico City, pole vaulter Christos Papanikolaou, breaks the Greek record with a jump of 5.35m but fails to win a medal as he finishes 4th.
- October 20: Aristotle Onassis marries Jackie Kennedy at island of Skorpios.
- October 27: Goalkeeper Stelios Serafeidis is sent off in an Olympiakos - AEK derby. He is replaced by...forward Mimis Papaioannou who makes the save of the match in the 89th minute to preserve a 3-2 AEK victory.
- November 3: The funeral for Georgios Papandreou turns into a protest against the military government of Georgios Papadopoulos
- November 8: Two Italians attempt to hijack an Olympic Airways aircraft after its departure from Orly Airport, Paris, France.
- November 17: Alekos Panagoulis is sentenced to death for his attempt to assassinate dictator George Papadopoulos.
- December 11: Greece defeat then-powerhouse Portugal 4-2 in a qualifier of the 1970 World Cup. In utter frustration, Eusebio - considered the best player in Europe - spits at Greek right winger Stathis Haitas.
- December 26: Two Palestinians attack a Boeing 707 aircraft belonging to El Al at Ellinikon International Airport. An Israeli mechanic is killed.