Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1824: Supporters of Georgios Kountouriotis take Tripolis from the supporters of Petrobey Mavromichalis.
- 1897: The Greek government declares war on Turkey and the Greco-Turkish War (1897) begins.
- 1912: Many Asia Minor Greeks cannot vote in the Turkish elections as Young Turks vandalise many polling places, burning ballots or electoral registers.
- 1944: 270 Greeks are executed in the village of Kleisoura (Kastoria), by the German occupation forces, in retaliation for the killing of two German soldiers in the area.
- 1944: Hellenic Navy crew members join the revolt by leftist soldiers in Alexandria.
- 1962: Former Communist Party of Greece Secretary General, Nikolaos Zachariadis, requests to return to Greece and stand trial. His request is denied.
- 1970: Athens daily "Ethnos" ceases all operations.